How do you achieve long-lasting sobriety and health? Mental health issues like anxiety or depression can contribute to substance abuse. Some individuals turn to drugs or alcohol to cope with mental health concerns, which can create a dangerous cycle of abuse. Taking care of your mental health can help you maintain sobriety and avoid relapse in the future. Therapy and healthy outlets for stress can help you improve your mental health. At Ethan Crossing, we offer the treatment options you need to feel your best.
Treatment for Mental Health Issues in Springfield, Ohio
The first step is to seek out treatment for mental health disorders. Treatment starts with a formal diagnosis to determine what is occurring. Many people with addiction face mental health disorders such as anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder. Dual diagnosis treatment options for these conditions may include:
- Medications to correct hormonal or chemical imbalances
- Detoxing from drugs or alcohol to create stability
- Medications to ease symptoms
- Trauma therapy to work through challenges
- Strategy-building to develop coping skills
If there’s an underlying mental health problem, professional mental health counseling is critical. It enables a person to reach a level of stability so they can work on other needs.
Guided and Consistent Care
With formal mental health treatment, many people will speak to their counselor at least once a week and, as they meet their goals, they can begin to work towards reducing this frequency. Working with a therapist in Ohio on a frequent schedule ensures that life’s challenges do not get in the way of managing addiction or mental health disorders.
Consistent care and regular therapy sessions can be essential for long-term recovery. For example, many people with post-traumatic stress disorder need frequent supportive sessions with a counselor. Sometimes, improvement happens right away after seeing a therapist. However, when life gets difficult and stress increases, it may be necessary to get more frequent care so that maintaining sobriety is possible.
Simple Things to Do Each Day for Your Mental Health
A lot of the work a person does in mental health counseling is dealing with past experiences. However, by taking a few steps in your daily life, it may be possible to overcome setbacks and improve your mental health. Working with a counselor in Ohio isn’t the only way to preserve mental health. Here are some simple things you can do daily as well:
- Spend time outside in the sun. Vitamin D is important for your overall physical and mental health. It is also refreshing to be outside in nature even if just for a few minutes.
- Work to maintain connections with others. As social creatures, people need relationships to obtain ongoing support. Just being able to talk about life can help.
- Eat a healthy diet. Proper hormone balance comes from a nutrient-rich diet. This can help to push off depression and anxiety in some people.
- Engage in physical activity daily. Exercise burns cortisol, the stress hormone that creates intense anxiety and feelings of despair. When you exercise, you remove that hormone faster, alleviating stress.
- Do things you enjoy. It does not matter what it is, from reading to watching television, engaging in fun activities keeps the brain engaged and reduces stress as well.
Mental health counseling along with ongoing mental health steps like these can provide you with a range of resources to support long-term healing and growth.
Work to Heal and Start Today – Call Ethan Crossing
When it comes to maintaining mental health, Springfield, Ohio residents may find just what they need at Ethan Crossing. That includes access to a therapist committed to providing exceptional care and surroundings that are comfortable, inviting, and encouraging. If you are ready to see change, call our therapists at 833-691-0736 or connect with us online now.