Depression is a common but extremely challenging mental illness. It can rob you of happiness, joy, and fulfillment in life. Depression is a mental health disorder that features persistent sadness and a depressed mood. Depression causes a loss of interest in hobbies or activities that a person once enjoyed. Read on to learn more about depression and how to live with it. A depression treatment program in Springfield, OH such as Ethan Crossing Recovery can help you get the clinical help you need for depressive disorders.
Types of Depression
There are many types of depression. At our depression treatment program in Springfield, OH, we treat all kinds of depression. Each type of depression has a combination of unique and overlapping symptoms. They include the following:
- Major Depression: Major depression is the most common type of depression. Scientists hypothesize that changes in brain chemistry and neural pathways cause major depression.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that occurs during the winter months when less sunlight is available.
- Bipolar Disorder: Bipolar disorder is a mental illness characterized by extreme shifts in mood over long periods. A person with bipolar disorder alternates between weeks of depression and mania.
- Postpartum Depression: Postpartum depression is a type of clinical depression that occurs just after having a baby.
- Situational Depression: Situational depression, also called adjustment disorder, is depression that results from a significant change in the person’s life. Examples include the loss of a job or moving to a new city.
- Atypical Depression: Atypical depression is a type of depression where people experience depression when experiencing pleasurable activities.
Depression Treatment Program in Springfield, OH
There are both common and uncommon treatments available for depression with varying severity. These include the following:
- Outpatient Therapy: An outpatient treatment program, or counseling, is one of the most common types of treatment used for depressive disorders. Usually, a person will see a counselor or therapist once a week to discuss symptoms and learn new coping skills.
- Inpatient Therapy: Inpatient therapy at a depression treatment center in Springfield, OH, is less conventional for depressive disorders than outpatient treatment. However, it has the highest potential for immediate improvement of symptoms and mood. A depression treatment program in Springfield, OH, helps reestablish healthy neural pathways.
- Medication: The treatment of depressive disorders often requires medication. SSRIs, or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, are a type of medication that prevents your body from absorbing too much serotonin. SNRIs, or serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, work the same way on both serotonin and norepinephrine. There are a wide variety of medications that exist to treat depression. Working with an experienced medical practitioner can help you find the right medicine for your condition.
- Medical Procedures: Few medical procedures exist to treat depression, primarily because it is a disorder of the mind. In the past, doctors used electroconvulsive therapy, which has since fallen out of practice.
Symptoms of Clinical Depression
The symptoms of various types of clinical depression include but are not limited to:
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Loss of interest in hobbies
- Mood swings
- Feelings of guilt
- Loss of appetite
- Weight gain or loss
- Difficulty concentrating
- Excessive crying
- Isolation from social activities
- Intrusive thoughts
- Self-harming behavior
- Thoughts of suicide
If you experience any of these symptoms, you may need to seek treatment from a depression treatment center. Seeking professional help will allow you to cope with your symptoms and help you enjoy life again.
Join a Depression Treatment Program in Springfield, OH
If you or a loved one are experiencing signs of depression, it is crucial to get help as soon as possible. Depression is a painful, debilitating mental health condition that is almost always invisible to others. Ethan Crossing is a depression treatment center in Springfield, OH. We offer treatment including medication, individual therapy programs, group therapy programs, and family therapy programs in an inpatient setting so you can get the help you need to cope with depression. Contact us today at 833.691.0736 for more information.